Abia North: Well ‘ll reclaim our stolen mandate at supplementary poll – Ohuabunwa
* Hails judiciary over judgement
By Steve Oko
Senator Mao Ohuabunwa (PDP) has lauded the judiciary over his victory at the Election Petitions tribunal which ordered supplementary poll in a petition he filed against the election of Sen. Orji Uzor Kalu (APC).
The Justice Cornelius Akintayo -led three -man panel, had on Monday, invalidated the election of Kalu over non compliance with the Electoral Act as well as the Margin of Lead Principle.

The tribunal in a unanimous judgement ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, to within 90 days, conduct a supplementary poll in eight electoral wards in Arochukwu as well as several wards and units across Abia North where results of the February 23 poll were not collated.
The tribunal which reprimanded INEC for disenfranchising many registered voters without any reason had also deducted some votes earlier credited to Kalu, while increasing Ohuabunwa’s total score by 376 votes.
Reacting to the judgement, Ohuabunwa described it as ” a triumph for justice and democracy “.
Ohuabunwa in a statement by the Director General of his Campaign Organisation, the Follow Better Campaign Organisation, Dr. Ndubusi Eke, said the judiciary had once again proved itself as the last hope of the common man.
The former Speaker, ECOWAS Parliament said he went to the tribunal “to get justice”, and expressed satisfaction with the judgement of the panel.
He said the judgment was a further illustration that “truth will always triumph over falsehood no matter how long it takes. ”
His words : ” The judiciary has again shown that it remains the last hope for the common man, and a critical stakeholder in our democracy .
” It has spoken in clear terms that Abia North senatorial election could only pass for a charade considering the massive rigging by the man who claimed victory over the poll.
” The judiciary has again made a loud statement that no onel can subvert the will of the people and be allowed to get away with it.”

Ohuabunwa expressed the confidence that the Appeal court would uphold the verdict of the tribunal should Kalu challenge the judgement ” because the evidence of manipulation in his favour is incontrovertible”.
He further boasted of victory at the supplementary poll, saying that ” the people are waiting for an opportunity to recover their stolen mandate “.
“I thank God first who has always sustained me and my victory as I passed through this way in 2015/2016. So, I am confident that God will again sustain this victory. No one can subvert the will of the people.
“Abia North people have been in distress and agony ever since their mandate was stolen in a broad day robbery. They are curiously waiting for an opportunity to recover it.
“The supplementary poll will be a walkover for Follow Better because even those who aided the mandate snatcher have seen the difference between kite and gun.
“It is a big disgrace that the man who said he had their mandate has by his utterances so far left no one in doubt of who he truly represents “.
Ohuabunwa thanked his supporters and the good people of Abia North for their steadfast support, and urged them not to relent.
He promised to ensure the full realisation of all the ongoing and new projects attracted by him and already captured in the 2019 budget, if he returned to the red chamber.
More Stories
Abia 2027: Faces, chances of Otti’s likely challengers
Abia 2027: Transport unions drum support for Otti
Relocation of Abia varsity law faculty begins June – Govt * To hold CBT for new teachers * Bans all charges as free education begins