Embassy demolition: Nigeria rules out military option against Ghana ― Presidency
By Steve Oko
Despite mounting public outcry and clamour for revenge over the demolition of the Nigeria High Commission in Ghana, the Federal Government has ruled out any military option .
The Nigerian Presidency on Wednesday said it would not retaliate or resort to confrontation.
Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu, stated this in an interview in Abuja
The Nigerian Presidential spokesman said the decision by the Nigerian government not to retaliate was as a result of the apology tendered by the Ghanaian President, Nana Akufo-Addo over the incident.
According to him, “The President of Ghana has called and regretted the action and apologised to the President of Nigeria. I think he has shown leadership in the matter and what should Nigeria do; these are two leading countries in West Africa.
“Nigeria will not engage in a street fight with Ghana. This cannot happen. So, the two leaders, especially President Muhammadu Buhari, who is much respected in Africa, they all call him ‘Baba’ (Father), so he is bound to show restraint.
He said instead of fighting with Ghana, the government had resorted to peaceful resolution of the matter.
He said, “Matters such as this when they arise, it is always better when they arise, they should be resolved diplomatically. No, there shouldn’t be a fight between Nigeria and Ghana, this will not happen.”
Part of the Nigeria High Commission in Ghana was last week demolished with bulldozer by a Ghanaian who claimed the building was erected on his land.Steve Oko, Publisher/C.E.O, WaWa News Global. For more information on advert placement and news coverage, contact us on: 08038725600, or via email firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com Always read WaWa News Global - Your most dependable online news platform for the latest breaking news in Nigeria.