Ganduje further cuts Sanusi to size * Cancels Emir’s turban 

Ganduje further cuts Sanusi to size

* Cancels Emir’s turban
By Steve Oko

The frosty relationship between Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano State , and the embattled Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II, has degenerated following the cancellation of the Emir’s annul turban earlier slated for Thurday.

Ganduje who cancelled the annual highest traditional festival in the ancient city cited security concerns as reason for the action.

But despite the Governor’s excuses, pundits see it as a measure aimed at further whittling down the powers and influence of Emir Sanusi for opposing Ganduje’s second term bid. 

Investigations by Wawa News Global, however, revealed that some people see Sanusi’s stand-off with Ganduje as nemesis over his alleged role in the ousting of former President Goodluck Jonathan.

The former Governor of Central Bank was alleged to have worked against the re-election of Jonathan ,a Southern Christian using his influncial position as CBN helmsman so  that power could return to the Muslim North.

” alt=”” aria-hidden=”true” />
Governor of Kano state Abdullahi Ganduje and Emir of Kano Muhammadu Sanusi II at the praying ground in Kano on Tuesday.

According to agency reports, Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje scrapped the horseback procession by the Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II, after a security meeting held late on Wednesday.

READ ALSO:  TENSION !!! 2 killed, 20 vehicles burnt in  Kano APC,  PDP clash 

The procession in the northern town of Kano, a symbolic march celebrating the power of the monarch, held to mark the end of the Muslim month of Ramadan, had been due to take place on Thursday.

The traditional march usually sees the emir pay tribute to the governor while on horseback.

It also includes a tour of the city with residents lining the streets, beating drums, playing drums and firing muskets.

But the governor’s spokesman, Abba Anwar, said the royal carnival was cancelled due to “security reasons.”

He said there had been warnings of a possible “breach of peace” during the event.

Sanusi is one of the most important rulers in the mainly-Muslim north, and one of Nigeria’s leading Islamic figures.

But last month, Ganduje carved up Sanusi’s powers by dividing the ancient Kano emirate into five, a move critics say was a bid to curb his influence.

Supporters of Sanusi say the cancellation of the parade was another move to cut his power.

READ ALSO:  'El-Zakyzaky has been poisoned' - Shiites 

Sanusi, a former central bank governor, became emir in 2014, inheriting an ancient title over an area the size of Israel with the population of Portugal.

He will comply with the government’s decision, his office said.

Instead, he would hold special prayers to commemorate the anniversary of his coronation.

Ganduje, who won re-election for another four years in March, is said to view Sanusi as a critic opposed to his victory.

The state anti-graft agency has recommended Sanusi’s suspension from office over an alleged misappropriation of 3.4 billion naira ($9.5 million, 8.4 million euros) of palace funds given by the state government.

The emir’s aides are also under investigation for alleged graft.

Sanusi and his aides deny the accusations.

Steve Oko, Publisher/C.E.O, WaWa News Global. For more information on advert placement and news coverage, contact us on: 08038725600, or via email stevemanofgod2000@yahoo.com; wawanewsglobal@gmail.com Always read WaWa News Global - Your most dependable online news platform for the latest breaking news in Nigeria.

Leave a Reply

You have successfully subscribed to the newsletter

There was an error while trying to send your request. Please try again.

WaWa News Global (WNG) will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.