Boundary dispute : One killed as Cross River invades Abia community again
By Steve Oko
The people of Isu in Arochukwu Local Government Area of Abia State have cried out for government protection after another attack by their Cross River neighbours.
The latest attack, according to the community occurred Friday February 15 .
Addressing newsmen Monday in Umuahia, representatives of Isu people said one of their kinsmen, Hon. Okoro Ukwaa, was ambushed by their Ituma neighbouring community in Basa LGA of Cross River ,when he went to farm and murdered in cold blood.
Spokesman of the group and former Secretary to the Abia State Government, Sir Donatus Okorie, said Isu clan had come under constant attack by their Cross River neighbours since the eruption of boundary dispute in 2018.
He said that no fewer than 30 persons in Isu lost their lives during the April 18, 2018 attack by the Ituma people.
His words : ” Since the eruption of the crisis in April 2018 over 30 lives excluding property worth millions were lost in Isu.
” Ituma community and their cronies launched a monumental attack on us. In fact, what befell Isu clan is almost a holocaust.”
The former SSG, however, blamed the Abia State Government for allegedly not taking any step to protect the people, arguing that government’s inaction is responsible for the latest attack.
He regretted that despite several appeals and written communications to the state government no concrete action had been taken to broker peace between them.
“We have made series of documented reports to Government. We have also told the Governor himself.
” Ever since then till date, it is regrettable to observe that nothing has been done otherwise, this latest attack would have been averted.
“On Friday we got a very devastating news that one of our illustrious sons was murdered in cold blood by Ituma people “.
“If urgent and decisive action had been taken before now this tragedy would have been averted.”
The former SSG who was flanked by other community leaders from Isu clan said five communities sacked by the enemies during the 2018 raid are still refugees in other Abia communities.
“Those who fled their home since April 2018 are now refugees in other communities in Abia”, he said.
He appealed to the State Government to help relocate and rehabilitate the about 15,000 affected persons back to Isu.
Okorie argued that the appeal had become necessary because “it is the primary responsibility of government to protect lives and property of the citizenry.
Isu people accused Abia State Government of abandoning and marginalising them.
They requested the establishment of a Police Mobile base in the area as a permanent solution to the crisis.
According to them there was calm in the area when the Army was drafted to community but left after about one month.
When contacted however ,the Abia State Police Command said they were yet to receive any report of the latest attack.
Police Public Relations Officer Geoffrey Ogbonna said he had no formal report about the matter.
Steve Oko, Publisher/C.E.O, WaWa News Global. For more information on advert placement and news coverage, contact us on: 08038725600, or via email email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org Always read WaWa News Global - Your most dependable online news platform for the latest breaking news in Nigeria.