Breaking :Ezekwesili withdraws from presidential race
. Party disowns her, declares support for Buhari
By Steve Oko
With less than one month to the presidential poll, the presidential candidate of the Allied Congress Party of Nigeria, Dr. Obiageli Ezekwesili has withdrawn from the race.
The former Education Minister announced her withdrawal in a statement issued Thursday by the spokesperson by her Campaign Organisation, Ozioma Ubabukoh.
According to the statement, Ezekwesili said she took the decision after “extensive discussions with Nigerians at home and in the Diaspora.”
Ezekwesili also said she took the action after analysing developments surrounding the January 19, 2019 presidential debate.
Meanwhile, her party has disowned her, saying she did not consult with the leadership before taking the decision.
The party also accused her of being unserious with the presidential race and in protest, declared support for President Muhammadu Buhari.
Ezekwesili had said that the decision was in the overall interest of the nation which she said should be paramount.
The statement read in part : “This decision followed extensive consultations with leaders from various walks of life across the country over the past few days. I deem it necessary for me to focus on helping to build a veritable coalition to ensure a viable alternative to the #APCPDP in the forthcoming elections.
“It is my ardent belief that this broad coalition for a viable alternative has now become more than ever before, an urgent mission for and on behalf of Nigerian citizens. I have therefore chosen to lead the way in demonstrating the much needed patriotic sacrifice for our national revival and redirection.
“I wish to state that over the past three months, I have been in private, but extended talks with other candidates to birth a coalition that would allow Nigerians to exercise their choice without feeling helplessly encumbered by the evil twins of #APCPDP.
“While the deliberations continued, I never hesitated for a moment in my willingness and determination to sacrifice my candidacy in order to facilitate the emergence of the envisaged strong and viable alternative that Nigerians could identify with in our collective search for a new beginning.
“My commitment to this promising political recalibration has been consistent and in consonance with my agreement, at the request of candidates under the Presidential Aspirants Coming Together arrangement in 2018, when I consented to supervise the internal selection process as an outside observer passionate about building an alternative force.
“However, despite resistance from the ACPN on these and other issues, I have decided that it is now necessary to show by action and example my determination on this issue by stepping down my candidacy so as to focus squarely on building the coalition to a logical conclusion.
“We have no right to allow citizens give in to despair. We will #Fight4Naija together and prove to all that the mess, which the political class has now become, should not be allowed to destroy our spirits and nation. We are also determined to ensure that the message keeps resonating that our beloved country deserves better, and that we will get the best that we deserve.
“From last year, when I joined the presidential race, I made it clear to Nigerians that the country has always had a 20-year cycle of change – 1958, 1979, and 1999. As such, 2019 begins another 20-year cycle, and together with all Nigerians of good will, I stand ready to play my part to ensure that we do not miss this golden opportunity to sing a new song. There is no more time to waste. Let’s get to work.”